This time I've gone back to a color image. Some of the succulents I've got are blooming. Since the blooms are so small I use a 85 mm macro lens with a 20 mm extension tube. Since depth of field is so small, multiple images with a slightly different focal point are taken. Images are stacked, aligned, and blended, all in Photoshop. Here I started with a series of images like this:
Note that only certain parts are in focus. But when the various images are stacked, aligned, and blended, a final image will be in focus. At that point, camera raw was employed to adjust the image. wth cropping the result is:
Those red unopened buds are 1.5 - 2 mm in diameter; hence the need for macro lens with extension tube.